You are looking for video game system for your kids but don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars. You should consider buying the Nintendo 64 system. It can be found for less than $40 shipped and has some of the greatest video games ever made, like Super Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, and Goldeneye. Here are five things to keep in mind to make your N64 shopping experience hassle free.
1. Don’t Spend More than $35 – Prices for systems vary from store to store so be sure to shop around and find a system for less than $35 shipped. I have seen systems listed for as much as $200 brand new so be sure you look around before over paying. If you spend a little bit more time, you can definitely save yourself a lot of money.
2. Buy Used – Nintendo stopped making the Nintendo 64 in 2001 so stores don’t carry new systems anymore. A new N64 is next to impossible to find. Luckily, Nintendo built the Nintendo 64 to be very reliable there are hardly any problems with it breaking. The Nintendo 64 isn’t like the original Nintendo where you have to blow into all old systems and have just the right technique to get it working.
3. Don’t Shop in Retail Stores – You will most likely be wasting your time. All major retails and most used video game stores have stopped selling Nintendo 64 systems and games. They have moved on to the newer systems and don’t have room for it anymore. The only stores where you might have a chance are independent video game shops in your area. All Gamestop’s and EB Games’ stopped carrying the N64 a long time ago.
4. Shop Online – The best place to find an N64 system is in online stores or ebay. You can search Google or shopping comparison websites and find quite a few available. And like almost anything else, you can find N64 systems on eBay too. Be careful you don’t over pay for shipping when shopping online. Many retailers have a low list price of $9.99 for the system, and then charge more than $30 for shipping.
5. Watch What is Included – Out of the box the Nintendo 64 came with one controller, an AV cable, and an AC Adaptor. All three of these are needed for the system to work correctly so be sure to double check the site says they are included. You don’t want to think you got a good deal on a system only to find it didn’t include a controller, which will cost you another $15 to buy separately.
If you keep these five things in mind when shopping for your Nintendo 64 you should be able to find a great deal and save yourself a lot of hassle. Now go enjoy one of the great systems ever made.